Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Somdev and Sania in US Second round Single

Somdev Devvarman and Sania Mirza acquaint first-round victories on aperture day of the US Open to become the aboriginal man and woman from India to ability the additional annular of the aforementioned Grand Bang event.

Sania defeated Olga Govortsova of Belarus 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, and qualifier Devvarman exhausted Portugal's Frederico Gil 6-3, 6-4, 6-3.

"For a continued time... I was the alone one (from India) arena singles in the capital draw of the Grand Slams," said 22-year-old Sania, arena in her fourth US Open.

"It's abundant that Somdev is arena so able-bodied back the alpha of the year and accepting better. I'm absolutely blessed that we accept two Indians in the additional annular of a slam. I don't apperceive if it's anytime happened before."

Devvarman added: "I don't appetite to jinx myself but I feel acceptable about area I am. I've had a brace of affection wins. It gives me a lot of aplomb and acceptance that I can appear out and attempt with anyone. My bold is up there with the rest."

Sania said alone aggressive at Flushing Meadows was a success for her afterwards a 2008 division in which she was alone by a wrist abrasion and anaplasty that threatened her career.

"This is my improvement year from injury," said Sania, who absent some seven months of competition. "Physically I anticipate I've never been fitter, in agreement of how I move about the cloister and hitting the brawl but I'm a little rusty."

Sania said actuality alone for so continued fabricated her acknowledge what she had taken for granted. "One day you're on the tennis court, you feel, 'Oh, I'm the fittest person, I'm an athlete.' And the abutting day... I could not alike aces up a angle to eat, it was so painful."

Sania, who accomplished the fourth annular of the Open in 2005, said she had been arena some Challengers tournaments, acceptable one and extensive the final of addition afore abiding home for added treatments on her wrist.

"I apperceive I accept the weapons and apperceive I can do it. Now I comedy a berry and absolutely I accept no pressure," she said about her second-round bout adjoin 10th berry Flavia Pennetta of Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment