According to a recent report by the Times of India, 275 million Indians are hooked on to tobacco. What's more, one in every four female smokers smokes her first stick before she turns 15. Shocking, isn't it?
If you are one of those who's struggling to kick the butt for a while, here are a few tips you can use to quit smoking:
- Believe in yourself. Being positive about your ability to quit is half the battle won. Your confidence and willpower will help you stay away from the stick when temptation strikes.
- Take up healthy habits like working out and meditation. This will help you de-stress, improve your focus and help you stick to your goal.
- Kick the butt gradually. Don't buy a pack. Buy cigarettes as and when you feel the urge to smoke. If you buy a pack, you will end up smoaking it all even if you don't want to.
- Rope in a friend to quit with you and make a pact with him/her. Quitting with someone you know is effective as you can motivate each other and monitor each other's progress.
- Eat small meals through the day so that you are not hungry for long and stay slim too! A lot of smokers turn to smoking to kill hunger. It is important to keep yourself hydrated too. So gulp down at least eight glasses of water and other fluids like juices and buttermilk.
- Keep yourself busy. You are more likely to go for a ciggie-chai break either when you have too much to do or nothing at all. So strike a balance and keep yourself occupied, but don't overdo it.
- Chew mint/gum when you feel the urge to light up. Opt for sugar free ones to keep your pearly whites healthy. Psst…chewing gum gives your facial muscles a workout and keeps those wrinkles away!
- If you have friends who smoke, ask them not to smoke when you are around. Or don't join them when they step out to smoke. Social smoking makes you want to smoke more.
Do you have any more tips on how to quit smoking? Leave us a comment and let us know.